Friday, October 26, 2007

"They Shoulda Never Gave You Niggas Money!!!"


After all of the outcry and support from the Black community for the Jena 6 in Louisiana I figured that the guys would come out and become the posterboys for a new Civil Rights Era. I mean I know they're young and still "kids" but if there were ever a time to consider yourself a spokesperson for the Black race in terms of speaking out against inequality and presenting yourself in a dignified manner, this would be it, right? Or am I wrong?

Fast forward to the BET Hip Hop awards. "And now coming to the stage to present the award for best new artists, we have two members of the Jena 6! [standing ovation/applause]."

The next thing I know, I see...is that Jeezy and T.I. coming to the stage? B.G.? No no no... it must be Soulja Boy...Nope. It is in fact the guys from the Jena 6! They looked like they had just came off the video shoot for their new hit single "Fuck Them Haters...Bitch!" To top it off, they said "We'd like to thank all our fans..." Fans?

*blink blink*

I shook it off and rolled with it. I just figured they would come out a little more humble and low key. I dunno...maybe a "Free Mychal Bell" T-shirt and a pair of fitting jeans--just something that says "world...take us seriously." But after I thought about it I said to myself..."Self...they're still kids, they love hip-hop as do I, and they ARE at the BET Hip Hop Awards. It shouldn't matter what they're wearing. Stop judging them boys!" I let it go.

But now pictures have surfaced of one of the boys, Robert Bailey, Jr., alledgedly rolling around in donation money that people sent to them for their defense fund.


I know that their cause is bigger than them individually, and that them being charged with attempted murder was still an injustice regardless of their personal lives, but damn! You have to know that the world will be watching your every move now to see just who are these guys that the entire Black world was defending. And rolling around in money that was sent to you to defend yourself in the face of racism is a slap in the face to the people that sent it.

C'mon folk. Let's think smarter.

10 comments:

Daniel Kelvin Bullock said...

LOL, B...

LOL

Anonymous said...

1) Jena 6 is a tight name for a group. Yeah, I said it.

2) Read what the folks at blackademics.org had to say about this topic.

http://blackademics.org/2007/
10/23/jena-6-the-bet-hip-hop-awards/

Anonymous said...

wow...this is so sad. Chappelle's skit never rang so true...

Brandon said...

Yeah it is kinda sad. They're still young and don't know any better, but somebody (parents) should have schooled them on watching themselves now that they're in the spotlight. It would be a shame for this to overshadow the underlying message in their case.

tweezie said...

I read this on another blog and fell out laughing, but not because it was all funny but because it kept me from crying...

its a damn shame...

Ticia said...

I was so disgusted by this!!

4EverJennayNay said...

I'm with Bill Cosby on this one. It hurt my pride. We need to better.

Andrew The Asshole said...

I think they are going to be guest arist on Nas new album N*GGER

how sad

Anonymous said...

ay joe, dis be true yall nikkas shud laern to reed and write good befoe yall act an ignant mess up thurr....

RJ said...

hilarious, but so true